Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time to reconnect with myself

I haven't been very productive today, though I did go to the grocery store, discovered where the post office was and as always, I still enjoy not having to battle for space on the street. I have been listening to the news, snoozed off briefly and am actually early on sending out BD cards. I wonder if this will continue. I brainstormed about a talk I am giving next month, but found myself blocked when it came to ordering the textbooks for the new class I am teaching. I sort of smiled to myself when I wondered, how did my PhD, my specialization academically and me as a person end up and will end up teaching such a course. A year ago, had someone told me you'd be teaching this course, I would have laughed at the absurdity of the idea. Ok I guess we're still in the realm of women so I shouldn't act too shocked.
Meanwhile, I'm eager to hold my girls in my arms, to give their dad a break from them and take them to all the fun places I discovered in Knoxville: the cupcake places (2 so far!), crepes at the downtown area, and so much more. While shopping at Kroger's today, I saw all these young cute college students shopping for food. They were cute, full of energy and life, ready to conquer the world, full of theories about life as well as themselves... soon, all their theories will be bouncing off the walls of their classes.
As I lay here fasting from drinks and food, I think of how people are coping in Hama and all over Libya. I have an earache, I'm supposed to go to have dinner at a colleague's house but I'm waiting for the furniture movers once again to come and take the furniture they ruined, and replace it with hopefully furniture that is less ruined. Just thinking about the process nauseates me. Will I ever move again? I know the answer is yes, and I know it hasn't been that bad of a move, in fact if anything, it has been smoothe. I spent a few hours going through books but I discovered that unpacking books and shelving them is NOT as difficult as unpacking clothes. So, the plan is to totally ruin ALL my clothes during my 'sejour' here in town. This is unbelievable, but I'm not even tempted to shop. Could it be that my life is so fulfilled and complete that I no longer feel the need to compulsively accumulate fabric?
I did something I have wanted to do for years: I love orchids yet I have never dared to buy one. Even Trader Joe's had them, but I always thought they were 13 or 15$ too much. So I never bought myself an orchid. I finally did today, at Kroger's they had them for 9.99, so I didn't hesitate. I bought a purple one, and I found room for it in my livingroom, in my African corner specifically.
I'm starting to feel my serenity flying away as the tribe arrives tomorrow. I can't wait to hug my girls and cuddle them to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment