Monday, August 8, 2011

Another great day in Knoxville TN

I'm exhausted, been running since 6am, but everything has gone so well. My orientation at work, though boring, was informative. I nearly fell asleep once, I had some coffee, it was beyond disgusting, so I went back for tea, which was almost as disgusting as the coffee... I gave up on drinking by noon. I managed to get my new ID as well as my parking permit. I was so excited! After those two huge tasks were accomplished, I went to the bookstore, and boy did I have a blast. ALL the books which I'm supposed to teach for this NEW course that was pleasantly 'dumped' upon me last week, were waiting for me to pick up (I enjoyed billing the department for all my books!). After I got all these books in English and French (I start reading them TOMORROW!) I went to the computer store and enjoyed my first purchase (part of my start-up $$). I got a mac computer!!!! Yes I Diiiiid! And I'm listening to 'fip' on it right now. So cool! Now netflix did not cooperate tonight. Of course, what else is there to do here? I assume that 3/4 of the population is on their computer connecting to netflix.
Oh well, I need to sleep. Meems' first day at daycare went very well. She got in touch with my Methodist ancestors, and loved her 'new' friends and the teachers. She did very well and her teacher could not believe that today was her FIRST day ever in a formal school setting. Daddy and I really like the school.
I have lined up 2 nannies so far, which I need to interview asap. Tomorrow is the big 'piano' day for the girls, as they meet their new teacher. I found a choir for them at the Presbyterian Church down the street... and YES, everything is church-related here. Mohamed Chokri, in For Bread Alone, showed that religion is a 'luxury' that only the rich and middle class folks can afford. I was able to truly believe this years ago, but he did not see Knoxville. Had he known Knoxville, he would have seen that the luxury of emptiness is very helpful on a God-seeking path. I am guilty of not spending much time per day doing this myself, though my daily deeds are an attempt to 'remember' the tradition of those who came before us, starting with Abraham, or actually, going back to Adam.
Did you know that Colette had a brief relationship with Josephine Baker? I didn't! I have had very little time to myself today, though have had plenty of lonely moments. At the end of the day, I'm thankful that I had the maids over at 7:15am! Que du bonheur as Albert Memmi would say!

No comments:

Post a Comment